Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Glimpses -- Napping

September 27, 2011



       Today I had my first day of substitute teaching in over seven years.  Being a little shy in the sleep department, I probably wasn’t my normal, scintillating self, but that doesn’t matter for this story.  I arrived home to a just-nursed Esme, and we lay down on the couch together around 2:15. 
       Now I have long been a believer that the best nap aid possible is a purring cat, but, based on new evidence, I may have to adjust my position.  There is nothing quite like your 5-and-a-half day old daughter lying on your chest to release all the day’s worry and stress.  I can’t claim it was the deepest sleep I’ve ever had, nor the best, uninterrupted nap – on the contrary, I was awake every few minutes with every sound, wriggle, snuggle, and nuzzle, but it was the best waking nap I can imagine.



       Watching her little face try on different emotions while she sleeps is enough to bring tears to my eyes.  I really will do my best not to gush about how cute she is, how much I love her, how amazing she is or how cute she is, but – did I mention she’s incredibly cute?

2 comments:

  1. Gush away, that's one of the perks! And she IS incredibly cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! And you're right, there's something about sleeping with a baby that's just, well, right.

    ReplyDelete