Friday, September 16, 2011

The First Part of Birthday is Birth




Thirty-eight years ago, right now (12:44PM Central time, the exact moment I started typing, not the time I eventually post this), my mom gave birth.  As far as birthdays go, she has told me many times since, that was not her favorite -- something about being in labor on your birthday has to kind of suck -- but, as she has told me on every birthday since, it made the rest of them that much more special.  As she pointed out to me from a very young age, I will never forget my mom's birthday; and as special as one's special day is,  sharing it with a parent or progeny makes it all the more special.  In fact, over the past thirty-eight years, there has been only one birthday that I did not actually speak to my mom on our day.  We left messages back and forth, so we did hear each other's voices that year.  (Even the year I was in China on my 21st birthday, we orchestrated it so that we could talk to each other while we were both on the same date.)



Now my wife, Tina, is lying in bed, resting and trying to tell the difference between the Braxton Hicks contractions she's had for the past several months and, for lack of a better term, 'real contractions.'  Either way, things seem to be 'getting started' in there, but we're not really contemplating heading to the hospital until either something more dramatic happens, or the timing of the contractions she is having meets the 5-1-1 rule.  

But it does make me wonder if we'll have three generations of Virgos born on the same date.  (My mom's dad is a Virgo, too, but his birthday is late in August.  Makes me wonder when his mom, my great-grandmother was born...)  While both my mom and I are excited by the prospect (Tina is also ready to meet this kid on the outside -- the sooner the better if you ask her), I at least am trying to remain calm and in the moment.  I don't want to rush things or get anxious, but I would certainly love to have a baby in my arms within the next ten hours.  We've joked about it several times, but I do wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to play bass for the little one.  I know s/he could hear and feel the bass inside there, and who knows, it could set things in motion...

Add to this joy and birthday celebration the fact that earlier this week I consulted the college archivist at Carleton College in Minnesota to discover that, yes, twenty years ago today was the first day that I stepped on to an Aikido mat.  I've got much to celebrate today, with my extended family, my (soon to be larger) immediate family, and my Aikido family.  I've already been treated to an incredible Aikido class wherein I was given the opportunity to start with 38 push-ups (with my instructor), to train with everyone on the mat, and end with 38, er, jumping squats is the best way I have to describe them -- let's just say it was a challenging class designed at least partially to help keep me young.  Okay, young-ish.  

I also notice that the ads have gone live here on my blog today.  (Is that a sort of gift from Google?)  I again want to apologize to those of you who may be turned off by those, but please keep in mind that I'm trying my best to create income for my family while I stay at home.  There are things I can't say about the ads due to AdSense policy, but know that I like the blog better without them, too.

Well hopefully my next post will include pictures, a name, a gender, a date and time, measurements, but not necessarily in that order.  Keep us in your thoughts (and if you're the praying type, your prayers, too).




2 comments:

  1. Wade, you've inspired me to get back to blogging too! I hope that you get that baby in your arms any minute now. Best feeling in the world! Thinking good thoughts for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So which blog will it be, Al? "Leggings..." or "Hardly Strictly..."? Glad to inspire others, but we are wishing our little one had taken lessons from yours. Due date arrives in three hours and we're still waiting.

    ReplyDelete