Saturday, July 25, 2015

First purchase

     Big sister Zoey is in town and while she and Tina were off hiking yesterday, Esme and I made a plan to go downtown:
     "I want to go to the bakuwrly."  (Sorry, but it's very hard to accurately transcribe just how she talks at times.  I'll continue to do my best.  Today was a beaucisul day, and we'll have anudy one toNAno.)
     Just on a whim, I asked her if she wanted Daddy to buy her something at the bakery, or if she wanted to spend some of her own money.  She wanted to do it herself so she started looking for her money.  She ended up finding four crisp, one dollar bills in her cash register.  And no matter how I tried to advise other possibilities, she would have none of it -- she was going to carry those dollars in her hand all the way.
     Which she did.

     When we reached the bakery, she let the kind woman know which cookie she wanted.  Even to the point of helping the woman pick out the exact cookie from the tray.  She handed over her money and took her change.  I tried to help by holding her change, but she would have none of that until I pointed out that, with a dollar in one hand and change in the other, she had no more hands left to hold her cookie.  So she kept hold of her dollar, took her bag of cookie, and we headed outside.
     As this was her trip all the way, I asked her where she wanted to sit.
     "In the shady parts!" she replied clearly.  She led us to a bench and sat.  I was a little surprised when she only ate a small portion of the cookie before declaring it was time to head home, but not nearly so much as when she offered part of her cookie to Tina and Zoey when they returned from their hike.

     How many of you can say the first thing you ever purchased with your own money was a chocolate decadent cookie that you offered to share with others?



No comments:

Post a Comment