Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Watching Esme Learn

     We've been watching Esme struggle to figure out how to get to things on her own, whether it be a toy, a mirror, or the tag on a blanket, and we can tell she's close to figuring things out.  She's had her knees under her, her arms under her, even both at once, but crawling still hasn't started.  Just this morning, I watched her reach forward from a sitting position to try to get a bauble.  She stretched out and touched it once, rolling it sideways, before sitting up again and assessing the situation.  I thought she might lean forward right into a crawl, but she had other ideas.  With seeming forethought, she reached most of the way over, put one hand down firmly, and stretched with the other hand to grasp the toy before sitting up triumphantly, holding it up like a trophy.  It is these moments that I cherish -- and watching her learn brings me more joy than I thought possible.

     She's also working on the whole standing concept.  I've had her use me and pull herself up to get her legs extended under her, I've set her down on the couch so she can use the back of it (facing inwards or outwards) to help hold herself up, and I've helped her grab on to various things (the coffee table, the railing on her crib, the back of a chair) to use as a support while she holds herself up.

     As everyone tells me, I should enjoy the current 'relaxing' situation instead of being anxious for the next stage, but I'm looking forward to following her around the house watching her explore her environs. And I wonder what nooks and crannies she'll introduce me to in this house I've lived in for nearly five years.















She may have to watch her friend, Logan, pretty closely.  He's a month and a half younger, but he's already crawling around.  (I wonder how they'll both be at sharing in another few months...)

No comments:

Post a Comment